Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Henson Market

That's what she named it... The store we set up for math class. We use Saxon math and love everything about it (except for the lack of color in the worksheets). This past week we had fun with our pretend grocery store. We sorted, organized,and priced, but the main thing was to add two digit numbers without renaming. Karis created receipts and we used dimes and pennies to discuss ones and tens place values. This was a fun activity that we spent several days on. If you have a kinder-gardener or a first grader, they would probably love to try this.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

We just played store Monday (and I think Tuesday too). The boys really loved it and my goal was to get them to see the value of each coin and how it relates to the dollar. They keep asking to play it again but we have been busy. I am sure we will again. I just let them buy last time but maybe I should take your advice and make him add the prices too.